Monday, January 16, 2017

I'M A THIGH GIRL

I like chicken thighs. I think they're moist and flavorful. I bought some as the main ingredient in the dish I made this evening. Since I make them quite often, it's a challenge to make something new with them, so I scoured the cabinets and found a jar of roasted tomatoes with crushed red pepper, and it went from there. I have saffron on hand so took this out to use as well. This chicken dish is really good!

ON THE CUTTING BOARD:



Chicken thighs, farfalle pasta, Mediterranean spice mix (salt-free), garlic, roasted tomatoes, olive oil, butter, dill, lemon, smoked paprika, saffron, dill. Chuck the onion. I didn't use it!

STEP ONE:



Cook the pasta al dente and set aside.  Coat the chicken with a generous spread of the Mediterranean spice mix (garlic, onion, basil, fennel seed, rosemary, oregano, parsley and red pepper). I had a jar on hand from Whole Foods, but you can also make your own. Place them in a hot skillet that's been heated with a T of olive oil and let cook on medium-high heat for about 12 minutes and then lower to heat to medium. Heat oven to 400 degrees.

STEP TWO:



Grind a 1/2 tsp. of saffron to a powder. I used a mortar and pestle.

STEP THREE:



Melt 1 T. of butter and add 2 T. of olive oil to a small skillet. Add the saffron and 1 tsp. of smoked paprika to the pan.  Add a dash of salt, a squeeze of lemon and simmer for a couple of minutes. Add 1 tsp. of minced garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.

STEP FOUR:





Coarsely chop the roasted tomatoes and add to the sauce. Simmer on low.

STEP FIVE:



Add asparagus to the pan of chicken and then finish in the oven for about 12 minutes.  If you think the asparagus is becoming overcooked, remove them after five minutes and keep warm.

STEP SIX:



Pour the saffron/paprika mixture onto the pasta and toss in a saucepan or wok. Keep warm while the chicken finishes in the oven. Check chicken to be sure it's thoroughly cooked.

STEP SEVEN:



Place pasta on a large platter and surround with the chicken and asparagus. Squeeze a small amount of lemon juice on top along with a generous grind of black pepper and some chopped dill. Enjoy!

As usual, this dish, as well as all the ones I post, are not wedded to any one ingredient. Use what you have on hand to create different flavors. In fact, I have some chicken to use tomorrow for a lunch I'm going to prepare and will use some fresh basil and a Middle-Eastern spice mix for a new dish. What I love the most about cooking is using the imagination to use what I've got to create interesting flavors and hopefully a tasty dish.

ALLA VOSTRA SALUTE!






2 comments: