Thursday, January 26, 2017

A BOUNTIFUL BUNCH OF BEAUTIFUL CHARD

Couldn't resist the gorgeous bunch of swiss chard I saw the other day. I knew I had vegetables in the fridge that needed to be consumed and was tired of that head of cabbage that seemed to grow new life each time I opened the fridge drawer.  I also had a carrot sitting around, some spinach and a couple of potatoes.  I buy a lot of noodles and vegetables from a local Asian market. These stacked noodles cook up quickly and are great in stir fries. 

I love my wok. I use it a lot because I can make a meal in one place, and it's fast!  Last night was stir-fry time.

ON THE CUTTING BOARD:


Cabbage, swiss chard, spinach, noodles, carrot, potatoes, 
sun dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, 3 slices cooked, crisp bacon,
garlic, fresh turmeric, black mustard seed, dried dill,
sesame seeds, crushed red pepper, cardamon pods, dried coriander,
fish sauce, dark soy sauce, canola oil

STEP ONE:  


Pour one T. of canola oil in a wok and heat. Add black mustard seed,
sesame seeds, coriander, crushed red pepper, dried dill and about six
cardamon pods to the oil and let sizzle for a minute or two, stirring 
constantly. Add potatoes to the pan and stir for about three minutes
on med. heat.

STEP TWO:



Cook the noodles for 8-10 minutes. Add chopped carrot 
and four large cloves of chopped garlic to wok and stir for 
another couple of minutes. Grate about an inch-long
piece of turmeric to the mixture. Sprinkle about a tsp. or so of 
fish sauce and a T. of dark soy. These ingredients are very salty
so use your discretion as to how much you want to use. Taste it 
to determine the amounts. I like to add my garlic in the second
step rather than earlier so that it doesn't overcook and become bitter. 
I also think you get more of the fresh garlic taste.

STEP THREE:


Add about two cups of shredded cabbage to the wok. Shred
quickly with the large blades of a grater or chop. Keep stirring
on medium-high heat. Add reconstituted sun dried tomatoes.

STEP FOUR:

Add the swiss chard and spinach. I didn't remove 
the white spines from the chard before I placed it in the 
wok. It would be a better idea to do it BEFORE you put it 
in the wok. Stir away!

STEP FIVE:


Add the drained noodles to the wok and stir. There should
be quite a loud sizzle going on!  When throughly mixed,
turn off the heat. I threw some barberries in since I had 
some on hand.

STEP SIX:  


If you choose, crumble the bacon on top and serve. 


ALLA VOSTRA SALUTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment