Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Vegetarian Squash Blossom Soup

I came across a farm market in Alexandria this morning and had to stop. So glad I did. I picked up some mustard greens, squash blossoms, cauliflower, zucchini, cilantro and some small, sweet strawberries. I wish I had had more time to visit other stalls with breads, cheeses and honey, but I'll be sure to stop by another time since it's on a regular route I travel.

When I returned home after a long day, I decided to make a squash blossom soup since it's not too hot and there's a nice breeze. I just felt like some soup!

ON THE CUTTING BOARD:



Squash blossoms, mustard greens, purple cauliflower, zucchini,
tofu, 1/2 chopped onion, 1clove minced garlic, tumeric, vegetable broth,
cilantro, fresh thyme.

STEP ONE:



Heat one T. of olive oil in a pot or large saucepan. Cook half a
chopped onion for a couple of minutes until translucent. Add the
garlic and cook for another minute. Chop half a small zucchini and
add to the pot along with some cauliflower florets. Throw in a scant
1/2 tsp. of turmeric and stir constantly for 4 minutes on medium heat.

STEP TWO:







Roughly chop the squash blossoms after pulling out the stamens
(use male blossoms) and add to the pot. Cook for one minute,
stirring constantly. Roughly chop the mustard greens (I used about
2 cups) and add to pot. Cook for another minute.

STEP THREE:





Pour 3 cups of vegetable broth in pot and stir.  Toss in some
cubes of firm tofu and let simmer for five minutes. Stir in 1 T. of
heavy cream (optional).  Add salt and pepper to taste (I used
white pepper) along with a 1/4 tsp. of fresh thyme. As an
afterthought, I added the zest of 1/2 a small lemon.

STEP FOUR:


I thought the soup tasted a little bland so I added
a few drops of sesame oil and about a tsp. of soy
sauce to my bowl.  This made a big difference.



A little chopped cilantro on top with a thin slice of
lemon and you've got yourself a good healthy bowl
of soup!

Nutrition Information:  One cup of squash blossoms has:
5 calories, less than a gram of protein, 1 gram carbs,
23% Vitamin C, 13% Vitamin A and traces of calcium
and iron.
One cup mustard greens has: 36 calories, 50% vitamin K,
57% Vitamin A, 39.33% Vitamin C, 34.78% Selenium
and 23% copper. They are also full of fiber and antioxidants.

ALLA VOSTRA SALUTE!


No comments:

Post a Comment