Monday, April 17, 2017

Forbidden Rice and Haddock

For this week's post, I'd like to feature black rice or "forbidden rice" a variety that has a high nutritional value. It is a source of iron, vitamin E and antioxidants (more than in blueberries) and is quick-cooking and delightful.  I found it in a local market and brought it home with some haddock. Haddock used to be overfished but the population has been making a steady comeback. It's population health is now deemed moderate and it has minimal contaminant levels. Hook and line caught haddock also prevents the environmental damage that bottom trawls cause.  Get a free seafood app to inform your seafood buying if interested. 

ON THE CUTTING BOARD:



 

Black rice, 3 cloves chopped garlic, oyster mushrooms,
cherry tomatoes (halved), a quarter onion, chopped,
dandelion greens from my garden, haddock fillets (dipped
in milk and covered with breadcrumbs)

STEP ONE:



Dip haddock fillets in milk mixed with garlic powder.
Dredge in breadcrumbs and let sit for 20 minutes.

STEP TWO:



Cook rice according to package directions. While rice
is cooking, saute`the tomatoes and mushrooms with the
onion and garlic in a T. or so of olive oil. Add the dandelion
leaves a few minutes before the tomatoes and mushrooms
finish cooking.  Add a dash of sea salt and freshly ground
black pepper.





I'm growing my own oyster mushrooms. I'm on my
third flush (growing round). They're easy to grow and
yield a good amount of fresh, yummy schrooms.  This
is the third meal I've made with my homegrown mushrooms.
I highly recommend trying it!  My kit was given to me by
a friend from a company called www.rootmushroom.com.

STEP THREE:



Add the black rice (deep purple color when cooked)
to the skillet with the vegetables and stir.
Cook haddock fillets over a high heat. I used grapeseed oil,
about 1 T. per fillet.  Cook until golden and fish flakes when
pierced with a fork. Lightly salt.

STEP FOUR:



Enjoy with a green vegetable and a salad.

ALLA VOSTRA SALUTE!


No comments:

Post a Comment