Monday, March 27, 2017

Quick, Easy Midweek Porkchops

Good pork chops are hard to find. They are tough when pan fried and not very flavorful.  The best solution is to buy Iberico, but it's very expensive. The next best thing is to buy organic pork. I shop at The Organic Butcher near my home, and I'm never disappointed. They have fantastic fish too along with various eclectic items like vinegars, sauces, dandelion greens and fanciful ice cream flavors from small producers. The people who work there are very friendly, and I can tell they love to be there. So do I!

I had a lot of the onion greens left from the bunch I bought at an Asian market along with potatoes and some tomatoes, so I used them for this meal with the pork. I also found some dill that looked really sad and scared all by itself in the bottom drawer of the fridge. It was still fresh enough to use with my beans, so I threw it on the cutting board too. A mixed green salad complemented the dishes and a satisfying dinner was created in a flash.  Here's the recipe:

ON THE CUTTING BOARD:

Pork chops (bone in), fresh garlic,  onion
bulbs with the greens (can use baby leeks or scallions),
small potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, red chillies, dill,
Boston lettuce, avocado.

STEP ONE:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees




Lightly coat the tomatoes, potatoes, and onion bulbs with
olive oil, a little sea salt and a generous grind of pepper.
Roast potatoes first for about 15 minutes and then add
the tomatoes and onion bulbs. Continue roasting for
about 15 more minutes, stirring once or twice.

STEP TWO:



Heat a cast iron skillet (if you have one) on high with a
little sea salt inside.  Cast iron conducts, distributes and
holds heat very well. I love my cast iron skillet. I've had
it for many years. You can sometimes find them at yard sales
for next to nothing. Big score!

Pound the pork chops between sheets of plastic wrap with
a mallet and rub with a fresh clove of garlic.  Place in the
hot skillet and sear the chops on each side. Let cook for 4
minutes and then transfer to the oven for about 8-10 minutes.
Pork should be a light pink color inside. Let rest under a
foil tent while you cook the beans.

STEP THREE:



Heat a couple tsp. of oil in a skillet and when hot, add
the green beans with about 12 red chillies.  Don't cut the
chilies unless you're a sucker for punishment!  They're
meant to add heat and should not be eaten either. Can add
some chopped, fresh garlic to the beans as well as a little
splash of tamari and some pepper. Sitr fry until done --
about 6 minutes. Chop the dill and scatter on top.

STEP FOUR:





Done! Serve with a mixed green salad and enjoy!

ALLA VOSTRA SALUTE!









No comments:

Post a Comment