Monday, October 10, 2016

GOOD EATIN' FROM A DINNER PARTY



This post is as easy as pie. Not really. A good pie is a real achievement. But having a small dinner party this past weekend has kept my fridge in good shape for my weekly challenge to use what I have on hand to make great meals.



ON THE CUTTING BOARD:  Serrano ham, eggs, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, fresh rosemary, garlic, onion, radicchio (yeah the same stuff as last week -- lasts a long time). OOPS! forgot to place a red pepper there.

STEP ONE:

Saute the onion, red pepper and garlic (put the garlic in last so that it keeps its soft texture) in about a T. of olive oil.

STEP TWO:

Add the scallions and saute until soft.

STEP THREE:


Whisk the eggs with a little salt and pepper and a T. of water.

STEP FOUR:


Add the eggs to the pan to cover the vegetables.  Let cook until they start to set. It won't take long.

STEP FIVE:


Cook the yukon gold potatoes in a very hot oil so that they cook quickly without absorbing too much of the oil.  They should be done in about 7 minutes. Drain and lightly salt.

STEP SIX:



Add the ham and tomatoes to the pan, arranging in a pleasing way. The ham is already cured, so the dish will be ready in a few minutes.

STEP SEVEN:


Slide omelette onto a platter. Arrange potatoes and garnish with any greens you have on hand. I used basil from the garden.


Salad with butter lettuce, fresh figs, cucumbers and tomatoes.  Dressing is made with a good cold-pressed olive oil, lemon juice, a pinch of sea salt, freshly ground pepper and a splash of balsamic vinegar to cut the acidity of the lemon juice and add a touch of sweetness.

I'll have to use the remainder of some of these ingredients during the week for more meals. Maybe I'll add some of my homemade pesto to pasta and toss in the serrano with some parmesan cheese.  

Looking forward to more adventures in using all my food. My compost pail has plenty of space, and I'm glad about that.


Alla Vostra Salute!  

2 comments:

  1. What a joy! Wish I were in the kitchen with you. I make something similar to this often using the same concept of emptying the fridge or cupboard. And I eat eggs almost every day!! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you visited my blog! The next time we get together, we'll do some cooking for sure!

      Delete